Re: Here's a poser...any takers???

From: C. Ferguson <c_ferguson_at_rationalconcepts.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:40:53 -0700

Hi Kurt,

   ...now that you are thinking more along the lines of an app, you might be able to do this all with html pages, but I'm betting not.

   You need a logon screen, a user input screen, a user viewing screen, a manager's viewing screen, a manager's create a salesman screen, an add a company schema to the database as well as the appropriate table(s) screen ...at the minimum. You need verification of the logon, verification of the user input (no ascii value in a numeric type check), logic to ensure that the salesman is looking only at their data...

I would go with a company schema for each company, and a code schema that contains a user table. This table would look something like (name, pw, role, company).

If you have a real app, it could verify the user logon by connecting to the db as the codeuser and check the user table in that schema. If everything ok, reconnect the user as the companyuser which gets them into the company schema. From their the app can retrieve the data for the specific user (as long as your company tables have a column for the salesman's name).

If not ok, put up an error message saying logon denied.

In my mind, this is a full blown app. With all the verification needed for robustness, I don't believe an html form will do it for you. You might be able to get pretty far with javascript. Since I work in java, I would vote for applets...

good luck,
cindy