Re: VARRAY of ROWID

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:52:06 -0400

A copy of this was sent to Honglin Su <hosu_at_cs.umbc.edu> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:13:59 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks! Is there any way to do the conversion from rowid to varchar2(18) or vice
>versa?

just assign them -- it'll happen implicitly..

there is an explicit conversion via:

tkyte_at_8.0> select rowidtochar(rowid) from dual;

ROWIDTOCHAR(ROWID)

AAAACsAABAAAAGiAAA

tkyte_at_8.0> select chartorowid('AAAACsAABAAAAGiAAA') from dual;

CHARTOROWID('AAAAC

AAAACsAABAAAAGiAAA

as well. but its like a NUMBER and varchar -- you can just assign them and they'll convert.
>Honglin
>
>Thomas Kyte wrote:
>
>> A copy of this was sent to Honglin Su <hosu_at_cs.umbc.edu>
>> (if that email address didn't require changing)
>> On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:57:49 -0400, you wrote:
>>

>> >Hi, there,
>> >
>> >Is there any way to create an VARRAY of ROWID?
>> >
>> >e.g.
>> >
>> >create type as varray(10) of rowid;
>> >
>> >but it shows the compilation error. I want an array to contain several
>> >rowid information. How can I do it?
>> >
>> >Thank you!
>> >
>> >Honglin
>>
>> varray's/nested tables (object types actually) do not support rowids as a direct
>> datatype.
>>
>> rowids are type compatible with varchar2(18) -- you would use that type.
>>
>> --
>> See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
>> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st
>>
>> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>>
>> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Sep 04 1999 - 13:52:06 CDT