Shared Memory Segments Problem Oracle 8.0.5 on Suse Linux 6.0

From: james <james_at_demon>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:54:51 +0100

Hi All,

            I've installed Oracle 8.0.5 on Suse (6.0) linux, and have come up against a major problem. Everything about the installation appeared to go fine, right up to the point where I tried to create a database. When I typed "startup nomount" I was presented with the following error:

            Oracle Server Manager Release 3.0.5.0.0 - Production

            (c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

            Oracle8 Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
            PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production

            SVRMGR> connect internal
            Connected.
            SVRMGR> startup nomount
            ORA-27125: unable to create shared memory segment
            Linux Error: 38: Function not implemented
            SVRMGR>

The error message appears clear enough, and normally I'd make the required adjustments and try again. However, I had already altered the various kernel parameters and re-compiled. I'm using the values below:

       /usr/src/linux/include/asm/shmparam.h

#define SHMMAX 0x8000000 /* max

shared seg size (bytes)         */

#define SHMMNI 128
/* max num of segs system wide */
#define SHMMIN 1
/* min shared seg size (bytes) */
#define SHMSEG 128 /*
max shared segs per process */ /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sem.h
#define SEMMNI 128
/* ? max # of semaphore identifiers */
#define SEMMSL 32
/* <= 512 max num of semaphores per id */
#define SEMMNS 200 /*
? max # of semaphores in system */
#define SEMOPM 32 /*
~ 100 max num of ops per semop call */
#define SEMVMX 32767 /*
semaphore maximum value */

When I issue the "ipcs" command I get the following:

            ipcs
            kernel not configured for shared memory
            kernel not configured for semaphores
            kernel not configured for shared memory

The machine has an AMD K6-2(400) processor with 128Mb RAM, so I seriously doubt that it's anything to do with resources.

My question therefore is this, how exactly do I configure the kernel for shared memory? On other unix platforms I've used, altering these parameters, or their equivalents is enough to do the trick. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

James Received on Sat Sep 04 1999 - 13:54:51 CDT