Re: Dual - multiple rows

From: Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 4 Sep 1999 03:53:13 GMT

How can we guarantee dual has only one row? If not, then it would not be safe to use select 'abc' from dual.

Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:

> A copy of this was sent to Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On 3 Sep 1999 09:49:53 GMT, you wrote:

>>Can we add trigger on dual to make sure that it can only have one record?

> No you cannot. You cannot put triggers on objects owned by SYS and dual is > owned by SYS.

>>Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
>>> A copy of this was sent to g.renfrew_at_acca.org.uk
>>> (if that email address didn't require changing)

>>> somebody inserted it (one of your DBAs probably).
>>
>>> DUAL is a real table -- its not special or anything. If it has no rows --
>>> that'll cause havoc. If it has >1 row, same thing.

>>> --
>>> See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
>>> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st
>>>
>>> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>>> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>>
>>> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation

> --
> See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st
>
> Thomas Kyte                   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries     Reston, VA   USA

> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation

--
Have several nice days...

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of the Corp.
http://www.ntfaq.com

http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm

http://www.oconnell.net/Sybase_FAQ

http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/