DBMS security assisted with crypto h/w?

From: Thierry Moreau <Thierry.Moreau_at_connotech.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:56:06 -0400

Hi,

I'm looking for DBMS security assisted with cryptographic hardware.

More precisely, suppose an application uses secret cryptographic keys that are used to authenticate transactions from remote systems (e.g. with a triple-DES MAC computation, no public key cryptography involved). I would expect DBMS supplier to team up with cryptographic hardware suppliers to provide a seamless solution so that the remote systems keys are stored in encrypted form in the DBMS, and each and every cryptographic computation is made in the cryptographic hardware. Then no application programmer can use a remote system key on the server, and the service provider can claim that "insider fraud" is a *very* remote possibility.

Any pointer to such offerings?

Which DBMS vendor is most likely to have met this requirement?

Am I dreaming of a level of e-commerce security which is beyond market expectations?

Please e-mail any suggestion. Thanks in advance.