Re: Case Sensitivity in select

From: <captain_bananas9955_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:28:10 GMT

None of these posts are addressing what is a real problem for people who are converting applications which generate hundreds of SQL queries against a database such as Access, which is case-insensitive, and now wish to port to Oracle. What do they do? Modify the entire application and lose indexing on tables due to using UPPER() or LOWER()??? When all that is needed is a simple parameter setting to tell Oracle to be case- insensitive?

In article <zzKz3.17680$Op5.228665_at_newse3.tampabay.rr.com>,   "dan" <dan_at_home.com> wrote:
> you can also use:
>
> SELECT * from words
> WHERE LOWER(word) = 'hello'
>
> Both will return the same results, any case variation of the word
Hello.

> ( I thought it interesting that I saw the original post before I went
> school today, and when in class we learned these commands, talk about
> timing...lol)
>
> Darren Roche wrote in message <7qk3sh$hmt$1_at_nclient9-
gui.server.ntli.net>...
> >Yes, of course.
> >
> >Try this....
> >
> >select * from words
> >where UPPER(word) = 'HELLO';
> >
> >Where it will bring back all variations i.e. Hello, hello, HeLlO,
etc.

> >Regards,
> >
> >Darren.
> >Darren.roche_at_cableol.co.uk
> >
> >Stu wrote in message <37C524EA.CC828BE7_at_dkmsoft.com>...
> >>Is it possible to set a parameter which will make a select statement
> >>case insensitive. i.e. so that select * from words where
word='hello'
> >>will bring back records where word='HELLO' or 'Hello'.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Sep 03 1999 - 10:28:10 CDT