Re: Very large database (more than 80 Giga)

From: Austin Durbin <adurbin_at_nshome.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 05:57:32 GMT

The largest database I support is around 15GB, a far cry from you 80 going on 110. Nonetheless, this may be of some help.

At 2:00 I shutdown the database and copy the key files to a staging directory on the same server. This takes approximately 20 minutes. Then I restart the database. The backup software (Seagate) runs at 3:00 and copies the staging directory to the backup tapes.

This approach minimizes the amount of time the database is down and removes the dependency of when the backup programs run vs. when the database is down.