ADO, Oracle Stored Procedures - Setting up a Client Machine

From: Adam Boonham <Adam.Boonham_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:03:47 +0100

Hi

I hope that someone can give a bit of advice.

I am a VB developer and upto now have used MS Access97 for most of my database work sending SQL strings to directly query the database tables. I am now about to start using Oracle stored procedures (OSP) in the Oracle7.3 environment.

I can understand most of the OSP that I have seen and can follow how the code operates by opening them in Notepad however I don't know

  1. How do I put the OSP files onto the database server
  2. Where do I put them (directory etc)
  3. How do I set up the Client machine to be able to access them and send/Retrieve data

I have got a copy of the Oracle Client software and have been told that I need to install SQL*Plus but have yet to install it because I'm afraid that it will create problems. I want to write routines using VB6 and ADO to pass variables to/from the OSP.

I know that I already have alot of the Drivers on my machine and I have got a DSN to the database server but I have been told that if I install the Oracle Client software then it will overwrite a TNS file (whatever that is) and this will prevent certain pieces of installed software from working

Thankyou for taking the trouble to reply

Adam Received on Wed Sep 01 1999 - 15:03:47 CDT