Re: Cannot add data file!?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 07:57:54 -0400

Kenneth C Stahl wrote:

> Jack Zhu wrote:
>
> > Linux 8.0.5 on Red Hat Linux 6.0.
> >
> > When I try to add a datafile in 'svrmgrl', I issue:
> >
> > alter tablespace <tablespace name> add datafile '<file name>';
> >
> > The error message is:
> >
> > ORA-01119: error in creating database file '<file name>'
> > ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
> > Linux error: 2 No such file or directory
> > Additional information: 3
> >
> > I use the 'oerr' to check the error, it said related to available space.
> > But I'm pretty sure that I have enough space to create this file. And
> > the directory which I used to create the file does exist.
>
> Are you giving the complete file name? Does Oracle have permissions to
> create a file in the directory that you specify?

Can you give us the EXACT statement that you are using. Don't substitute things like <file name> because that may disguise your error.

Also, are any of the directories in the path actually soft links?

Can you give a detailed explanation of how you know that oracle has the correct permissions, ownership, etc.. Sometimes what some people think are the right permissions are really not correct because they have a misunderstanding of how ownership and permissions are related and what is required for oracle to be able to create a data file in a specific directory.

You also say that you are "pretty sure" that there is enough space. That is never guess work. It is something that can be empirically defined. Have you ever considered creating a smaller datafile and then performing a RESIZE on it to take it up to the desired size? Remember, if you are creating a 100M data file, you will not get a data file that is exactly 104,857,600 bytes long, there is some overhead that oracle needs so the file will be larger. How much larger may be related to the versin of the rdbms and the block size of your file system. Received on Wed Sep 01 1999 - 06:57:54 CDT