from a novice - how to break a LONG apart?

From: Allen Brown <anb_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:10:54 -0400

I'm new at Oracle and SQL and have run up against a situation that I can't find an obvious, quick solution to (anywhere _I_ happen to have looked):

I have string data encoded into a LONG datatype field in Oracle 8. I am confident that I know what substrings begin and end the substrings that I must extract, and they may include single quote characters. Each of the substrings is likely (but not necessarily) less that 4K characters long. The usual substring extraction functions do not work on a LONG datatype.

How can I extract the substrings from within a "select" query?

Many thanks, in advance, for solutions, pointers, and suggestions.

Allen Brown