ODBC and Long datatypes (a.k.a. asking for trouble?)

From: Dan Rising <drising_at_berksys.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:39:54 -0700

Hi,

We are using ODBC to connect from an ASP application to an Oracle 8.0.4 DB running on Solaris. Here's the problem:

With the Oracle ODBC drivers the long datafield gets truncated on insert at a fairly low size (under 4K). We have tried multiple versions of the drivers from Oracle and they all seem to do the same thing. We also tried the MS drivers (brand-newest from MDAC 2.1), and they didn't truncate the field, but they did drop a character in the middle of the field - always at byte 2026!! We also tried some drivers from Merant, but they seemed to have trouble even getting an insert to go into a long field.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience and know of a workaround?

Thanks in advance,
Dan Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 15:39:54 CDT