Re: Have LONG, need CLOB, want answer!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:36:30 GMT

A copy of this was sent to shmurphy_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:10:46 GMT, you wrote:

>In trying to stuff rich text format into a LONG
>field in Oracle, I'm stuck with special characters
>such as bullets being returned as question marks.
>I'm needing to retain my MS drivers for Oracle so
>I can't use Oracle's CLOB datatype. It there any
>way of forcing Oracle to retain special characters
>without an aba-cadabra change?
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

This is undoubtably a nls conversion issue. You say "MS drivers" that implies windows. It uses an 8bit character set (NLS_LANG setting) by default. Is the dtabase on Unix? If so, it might have been created with us7ascii -- a 7 bit character set (thats why the bits are missing on the way back out).

can you tell us

tkyte_at_8i> select * from v$nls_parameters where parameter = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

PARAMETER

VALUE

NLS_CHARACTERSET
US7ASCII if this is the issue, you would be wanting to use a LONG RAW -- not a LONG -- to do your work with as LONGs are text and subject to nls conversions and LONG RAWS are binary (no conversion).

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 13:36:30 CDT