Re: Oracle and Perl

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:04:03 GMT

In article <37C532CE.E641A5FD_at_synlog.com>, Guillaume BRIALON <guillaume.brialon_at_synlog.com> wrote:
>Hi, I have a few questions about Oracle & Perl :
>
>[ ] What is the best way to access an Oracle database via Perl?

DBI/DBD::Oracle springs to mind as a good solution... :-)

>[ ] Is it possible without any overcost?

overcost?

if you mean performance overheads then DBI and DBD::Oracle have been designed for high-performance situations - and are used in some pretty big systems - one being the biggest outsourced print job of its kind in Europe.

If you mean licencing overheads the you will need oracle client software (at least to OCI) as DBD::Oracle talks directly via OCI...

If you are talking about web applications then you need to use Apache's mod_perl or some other persistent session technology in order to keep a database connection open - See Tim Bunces presentation at the perl (PM) conf - he is covering DBi and web vis-a-vis performance etc in his talk/slides.

>[ ] What is OraPerl?

It is an emulation layer to the very very old oraperl API for perl4. It was intended as a migration API and should not be used thses days unless you need to migrate from some very old perl4 code...

Jacqui
--
Paul Ingram Group Ltd,140A High Street,Godalming GU7 1AB United Kingdom Email: J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk Fax: +44 1483 862801 Phone: +44 1483 862800 A rather special Perl vacancy :-) http://www.ig.co.uk/about/jobs.html Use SmartCards in e-commerce systems? http://www.smartaxis.com/ Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 08:04:03 CDT