password file

From: susanne mainz <smainz_at_debis.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:57:50 +0200

Hi everybody,

I am working with Oracle8.0.5 on Solaris 2.7. To connect as SYSDBA from an NT client I created a passwordfile on my SUN server using the orapwd utility. The remote_login-passwordfile parameter in the init.ora I changed from 'none' into 'exclusive'.
The environment variables ORA_<sid>_PWFILE and ORA_PWFILE are both set to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/<sid>.pwd
Still it won't work properly. When I start the database with the 'startup'-command in the Server Manager I receive the following Oracle error message:

ORA-01990 error opening password file 'string'

Cause: An attempt to open the specified password file failed because of one of the following errors:

An operating system error occurred.

ORAPWD is already running, so the password file is locked.

The environment variables ORA_sid_PWFILE and ORA_PWFILE are not set.

Action: Check for the above causes and correct as necessary.

Susanne Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 05:57:50 CDT