Re: Oracle 8.0.3 and 'long raw' datatype

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:00:36 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Hans Demedts" <hdemedts_at_innet.be> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:23:44 +0200, you wrote:

>Hey,
>
>In Oracle 7 you could only use 1 long raw field per table.
>I thought this was changed in Oracle 8. I tried to put 2 long row fields in
>1 table and I still get the message that there is only 1 allowed.
>
>Is this possible in Oracle 8.1.5 ?
>
>Thanks for your reply.
>
>Hans Demedts
>Belgium.

You will never be able to put more then 1 LONG or LONG RAW in a table.

In Oracle8.0 and up, there are new datatypes BLOB and CLOB. You can have upto 1,000 BLOBS or CLOBS per table. They are infinitely better then long and long raws. plesae look into using them instead of LONG RAW.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 08:00:36 CDT