Re: Failure to Extend Rollback

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:15:59 -0400

g.renfrew_at_acca.org.uk wrote:

> Hi, quick question about rollback extents.
>
> I'm getting an ORA-1650 (rdbms 7.3.4.4/ solaris 2.7) on the RBS
> tablespace. Next extent size is 1048567. However, the database is
> unable to allocate this extent due to lack of contiguous free space.
> However, it looks to me like there is enough space (see query below).
> Why does an extent of 1048567 bytes not fit into the free space I've
> got?
>
> SQL> select bytes, count(bytes)
> 2 from dba_free_space
> 3 where tablespace_name = 'RBS'
> 4 group by bytes;
>
> BYTES COUNT(BYTES)
> 940032 1
> 1054720 63
>
> Many thanks.

You might want to change your extent size to 1048576 vice 1048567 since the former is a multiple of 2 while the second is not.

Only INITIAL extents require contiguous storage. NEXT extents can be non-contiguous.

What it really looks like is that your data file is too small.

Ken Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 07:15:59 CDT