SQLFORMS 4.5 (?) Server Process(?) Question...Please Help!

From: D.Arcilla <pcdanno_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:06:34 GMT

I am not a DBA so please let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree. Here is my problem we are running Oracle 7.1.5 on a VAX Alpha. All of our client/server screens are written in SQLFORMS 4.5. We have one screen that references an LOV against a multi-record block. The SQL is a single join against a table that contains 11000 records. The LOV takes over 2 minutes before it finishes executing. These are my questions:

  1. Even though V$open_cursor says the SQL is parsed, it still takes over 2 minutes to complete whenever I run the LOV against another the next record in the same block. If the cursor is already opened, why does it behave a if it is opening a new cursor?
  2. When I run the identical LOV against another form that I wrote in SQLFORMS 3.0, it only takes 5 seconds to execute. Since my SQLFORMS 3.0 form is running in local mode, can I assume that it is a networking issue, or a configuration issue with SQLFORMS 4.5?
  3. What init.ora parameters affect the server process? I am convinced that the bottleneck is the connection between the server process and the SGA.

Here is what I know already:

  1. My EXPLAIN PLAN states that the SQL in my LOV is using a non-unique composite index.
  2. The database exclusively running dedicated server processes.
  3. I ran the same form over the weekend with no other users and still am having the same response problem.
  4. The problem only seems to go away when we COMPLETELY shutdown and reboot our VAX data server. Shutting down the database and listener processes doesn't seem to help.
  5. An averageTNSPING against the database is about 200ms.

Any help would be appreciated our DBA and networking administrators have dumped the problem on my lap and claim that the bottle neck is within my application.

Thanks a lot... Received on Sun Aug 29 1999 - 12:06:34 CDT