Re: Oracle listener.ora looks fine, but doesn't work

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:27:22 -0700

Brent Douglas wrote:

> i may be misunderstanding your setup, but Oracle tech support would
> immediately have you change the localhost (i am assuming a name here) to the
> actual IP address... we had the same problem a few months ago, and that
> fixed it...
>
> we had same deal, from the server, we were fine, but just could not
> connect....
>
> good luck!
> brent
>
> >I've installed Oracle 8.0.5 on RH 6.0 (which is working great) and am
> >now trying to start the listener, which won't start. I can log in
> >locally through SQLPlus or svrmgrl and startup the db, create accounts,
> >etc.
> >
> >listener.ora looks like this:
> >
> >LISTENER =
> > (
> > ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=localhost)(Port= 1521))
> > )
> >
> >SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> > (SID_LIST =
> > (SID_DESC = (ORACLE_HOME= /u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.5)
> > (SID_NAME = shop)
> > )
> > )
> >
> >The network file in /etc/sysconfig is
> >
> >NETWORKING=YES
> >HOSTNAME=localhost
> >DOMAINNAME=thecitylofts.com
> >
> >etc.
> >
> >The error is what everyone else gets but it turns out to be a typo:
> >
> >TNS-01150: The address of the specified listener name is incorrect
> >NL-00303: syntax error in NV string
> >
> >I've pored through the Net8 admin guide, scoured the newsgroups, but
> >have had no luck. This has got to be the least complicated setup there
> >is!
> >
> >I must be missing something but what is it?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Andre'
> >
> >--
> >Andre Angelantoni
> >aangel_at_emai
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

First off, was port 1521 reserved for oracle use? Secondly, why use tcp for a local connecttion? I would certainly add: (ADDRESS=

          (PROTOCOL= IPC)
          (KEY= <your SID name goes here>)
        )

I measured IPC to be at least 7 times faster than tcp. Alternatively, use 127.0.0.1 as address for localhost.

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
V&L Informatica BV                   Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500 Received on Fri Aug 27 1999 - 13:27:22 CDT