jdbc odbc thin differences, oracle

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_ait-mmii.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:09:34 GMT

Could someonme help me with the following question?

Evidently we have uncovered a possibly already well known fact.

Can anyone tell me
1) is this well known
2) what other differences are known, and where can I learn of them?

Here is a description:

It appears that if your retrieve the value of a field from an ODBC result set that field value is consumed and no longer available from that result set. The following example demonstrates the problem:

ResultSet results = {do some query here}

while (results.next())
{

   // retrieve the value in the first column     if ( results.getString(1) != null)     {

// attempt to retrieve the exact same value again.
// This will succeed with the Oracle thin drivers but fail if
using ODBC

// ODBC will throw an "No More Data Found" exception here instead.

    Y = results.getString(1);
}
}
To get around this problem, once a value is retrieved, it needs to be saved off if you are using the jdbc-odbc driver.

I am interested if any of you have heard anything about this problem or one like it. Any documentation about this problem would be comforting.

Thanks
Jeff Kish
jeff.kish_at_ait-mmii.com Received on Thu Aug 26 1999 - 08:09:34 CDT