Select Multiple Form Field via Perl into Oracle error

From: Simmo <simsi_at_hotmail.com.nospam>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:51:06 +0100

Hi,

Apologies for submitting this to both groups but I'm relatively new to Oracle and i'm not sure which is relevant to this problem - it may even be an HTML thing although i probably need a Perl line or an SQL statement to rectify it:-).

I have a web Form with a select multiple attribute which Perl takes and sends to an Oracle 8.1 table 'news'. If i select 1 item its fine...if i select more than one i get:

DBD::Oracle::db prepare failed: ORA-01756: quoted string not properly terminated (DBD ERROR: OCIStmtPrepare) at news.pl line 855.

....although my perl script suggests there is nothing unusual about the multiple FORM string, i have a sneaking suspicion that there's a funny character in there that i need to remove in the Perl script before Inserting into my table.

Anyone come across this before? - i cant seem to find anything that sugegsts there *is* a character in there but....

An example string i'm writing incidentally is:

$categories_selected = $FORM{'categories'};
$SQL1 = "INSERT into news (type) VALUES ('$categories_selected')";
my $sql = qq{ $SQL1 };
my $sth=$dbh->prepare( $sql );
$sth->execute();

where $FORM{'categories'} is "ProductsServicesContacts" (3 options from multiple list form - selecting just one inserts ok)

Any help much appreciated

Ian Received on Wed Aug 25 1999 - 18:51:06 CDT