Detail table / how to store large data objects

From: kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:35:23 +0100

Hi,

I'm wondering what's the best way to store a news story (or any general article) which will have a title, a body of text, and possibly an image associated with it.
While reading p.120 of Oracle Design, it says that the favoured way of storing string data of more than 2000 characters is to hold it in a details table. I've heard the term before, but would be grateful if someone could tell me exactly what a detail table is (it's not in the index of this book) and why it is the favoured option.

On the image side, should I store the images in the database itself or should I just store the image filename? The same question applies to large bodies of text too, I suppose, and any other data which I may want to convert to binary (and store as RAW), such as video data, etc. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two methods?

TIA,