Re: ORACLE Datatypes

From: <owais_anjum_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 05:20:04 GMT

In article <7pt4gg$mup$1_at_imsp009a.netvigator.com>,   "Samuel Leung" <m2624526_at_netvigator.com> wrote:
> Have you tried using RAW for binary format?
>
> tmurrayiii_at_aol.com wrote in message <7ps323$edm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >HI,
> >
> >I have some visio (binary) diagrams which I would like to store in
our
> >oracle 8i database. Is a BLOB format the best way to go? If so, how
do
> >I setup the table to use a blob, and how do I insert a blob?
> >
> >Additionally, can one store a pointer in the db to a file on disk.
If
> >so, would I just want to use a varchar datatype, which contains the
path
> >and filename? Or is there a special type of datatype for this type
of
> >pointer?
> >
> >Thanks in advance for you help!!!
> >
> >Tom.
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

P.S. that I am recommending these things based on my knowledge of Oracle8 and NOT 8i.

For storing a file on disk outside the database, use BFILE datatype. It will only store a reference to that file. Also note that you'll have a readonly access to this file and also this column will not participate in transactions, locking etc.

For manipulating any of such datatype (LOBs), there is a package DBMS_LOB. The other alternative is to use OCI interface.

Hope it helps
OWais

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 24 1999 - 00:20:04 CDT