Oracle on Linux install?

From: Doug O'Leary <dkoleary_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 15:04:02 -0500

Hi;

I've downloaded the standard Oracle for Linux and, based on absolutely no experience with Oracle, I'm having a mite of a problem getting it installed and operational.

I need a bare bones install because I don't have a whole lot of room (about 300meg) on my Linux partition. I already know that I won't be following the OFA standards; particularly since I only have one disk - & part of that is shared with windows 95.

During the install, I'm asked to select the products that I'd like to install. I tried what I thought looked good; however, once everything was on, I didn't have much - if anything - in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin.

Can someone tell me the minimum installation set to get a small database up that I can play with in order to learn sql, pl/sql, and a bit about database developement?

Thanks for your time and help.

Doug

--

Douglas K. O'Leary