Re: Oracle and Access difference

From: Boyce G. Williams, Jr. <bgwillia_at_vcu.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:00:20 GMT

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:39:07 GMT, bgeake_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>Another thing worth pointing out is that although Access isn't good as
>a back end, as a front end for ODBC datasources it's quite useful. I
>use it quite a lot as an alternative to SQL*Plus when I want to select
>more than one or two fields, play with Where clauses, have all the
>output nicely lined up and not type for ages.
>
>NB I saw some message trying to defend SQL*Plus the other day.
>Pointless exercise in the extreme. SQL*Plus is to database tools what
>Edlin is to text editors.
>
>Bill.
>
>PS I would have used vi as an example of a crap text editor but the all
>the "this is harder to use so must be more powerful and better" brigade
>would have flamed me. So I didn't.

I use Access in this manner as well. My beef is: if you use Access ODBC for more than just simple SELECTs (multiple tables, correlated subqueries, pivot tables, etc) then the processing gets REAL slow. It makes me want to hesitate recommending using our Oracle database tables as look-up tables to an Access data-entry database. And no, I don't mean using Access to enter data to an Oracle database, but rather use Oracle to keep an Access database "honest" with correct data.

Boyce G. Williams, Jr. Received on Fri Aug 20 1999 - 10:00:20 CDT