Re: kanji environment

From: CSL <craigl_at_NOSPAMgte.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 05:15:15 GMT

Brent,
Oracle supports wide character data using Unicode UTF8 encoding. The database must be created with this feature, I don't think you can convert an existing ASCII database. UTF8 is a multi-byte encoding scheme. We have a UTF8 Oracle database on a US English NT server, which can be accessed by a client machine running Japanese NT. The client displays the Japanese characters from the database correctly, but if the same query is run from a US English NT client, the Japanese characters all look like upside down question marks, which happens to be the default for a character that is not in the US English (ASCII) character set on that machine. So, to answer your question: yes it is possible. However, the US Character set does not have glyphs for all the possible UTF8 characters that can be present in the database. So, you see a lot of the default character when looking at Japanese data in the database. Oracle stores the characters in UTF8, so the data is still valid. To see exactly what was input by the user you must look at the data using a system and application which displays the characters using the same character set used at input. Hope this answers some of your questions, Craig