Best 8i plus Web Server combo

From: Robert Edgar <robedgar99_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:21:21 +0800

We are looking to launch a high volume web site which will handle a wide variety of stuff from email to ecommerce etc etc. a bit like ebay/amazon/hotmail roled into one with a couple of hundred thousand accounts in the first year.

We are definitely going to use 8i as the database, we will make extensive use of java for the "business logic" coupled with PL/SQL in the database to handle all the data manipulation, mainly because we are all oracle experts :-))).

Users will need to login to the site and we will maintain user "profiles" in the database, users must be able to register and create new accounts or change passwords automatcially as the volume will be far to high to do this manually.

OK so far, but we have been wondering over what web server to use?

Our thoughts at this point are either to go for Apache or OAS. Has anyone got any experiences of these two to relate particualr given our criteria ie Java integration and security.

We have already ruled out WebDb as we dont think it is designed to handle volume, are we correct on this?

We have ruled out just using 8i by itself as the java webserver part wont be out until 816 and we need to start work on this immediatley and in any case we are a bit concerned over security if running the database and web site on the same machine, are we correct on this as well?

I am confused with Apache over how we can get the security to work as we wish, whereas it seems from what I have read in OAS this is sort of "built in", of course Apache is very popular and free which makes it very appealling over OAS.

Many thanks.
Rob Received on Thu Aug 19 1999 - 22:21:21 CDT