Re: Oracle and Access difference

From: Calvin Crumrine <Calvin_Crumrine_at_dced.state.ak.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:52:33 -0800

Alex Hudghton wrote:

> Nicolas Bronke wrote in message <37bbac54_at_news.uk.ibm.net>...
> >Be aware of that comparisions. Sure Oracle is the better database, but its
> >native tools are bad.
> >

> In fact they are so bad that Oracle is the largest database company in the
> world (?)
>
> Alex

I'm not sure Oracle's size is relevant to Bronke's comment. Bronke said it was a better database. IMO that's enough to justify them being the largest database company in the world even if their tools are crap (and I wouldn't know much about their tools-we don't use them). Which tools is Bronke talking about, the free ones that come with the database or their add-ons like Oracle Apps or Developer/Designer? How much of their size is attributable to their tools and how much to their database? How many people using their database are using third-party tools? Answering those 2 questions will tell you more about the quality of Oracle's tools than simply looking at Oracle's size. (The 1st question is relevant, too. If Bronke's talking about Oracle's free tools then his comment is out of line. IMO free tools aren't really intended to be used seriously.) Received on Thu Aug 19 1999 - 10:52:33 CDT