Re: Oracle WITHOUT client s/w.....How? (ADO ???)

From: Charlie Barrett <charliebarrett_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:08:51 GMT

Yep, your remote machine needs to have either the Microsoft OLDDB or ODBC driver for Oracle, which I think is a standard driver included in Windows, but probably needs to be updated (see http://www.microsoft.com/data/ ). You then need to get into the Control Panel, select ODBC, and assign a connection string to your Oracle server.

Then you can use ADO, DAO, or whatever to connect to the Oracle server through the connection string you assigned in the ODBC driver.

From then on, I BELIEVE you talk to Oracle in much the same way as talking to Access or SQL Server... However I'm sure there's minor but very annoying differences and omissions!!!

Charlie Barrett

Help find E.T. with SETI_at_Home!!!

Does your PC get bored while you're away? A CPU is a terrible thing to waste, so take him to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ and tell him to download SETI_at_Home, the free, totally "Techno-Cool" screen saver.

Instantly, he'll be a PC with a mission, because SETI_at_Home is definitely is NOT another "Flying Toaster" screen saver that rots his CPU. Your PC will be processing Radio Telescope signals from Arecibo, using state-of-the-art DSP algorithms like FFT's and Correlators. Then it uploads the results back to SETI (the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence)... I told you it was cool!!!

And if your PC makes one of the most important discoveries of all time (a signal from a distant civilization), he will be the envy of the Net, because the SETI team will give him credit in their worldwide press release (oh yeah, you'll get credit, too, so you won't get jealous and make a scene).