calling stored function from sql

From: <igor_at_easynet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:50:11 GMT

Hi folks,

I've got a stored PL/SQL function which writes to multiple tables. Can I call it from SQL? All the documentation I've found suggests that I can't (unless wrapping it in a stored package and not defining PRAGMA RESTRICT_REFERENCES would work - but I'd guess that may be fatally dim). If I can't, what's the mistake I'm making in my basic approach?

I'd have thought it would be common to want to use PL/SQL stored functions to pass a load of values from an application program into the database and not worry about table structures etc. Am I on the wrong track here?

Bit of background: I'm reasonably experienced with databases (I've used faircom, access, foxpro, mySQL), but I'm new with this project to Oracle development.

Any clues greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Igor.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Aug 19 1999 - 07:50:11 CDT