Trigger - Close but no cigar?

From: abrusko <abruskoNOfiSPAM_at_binney-smith.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:24:16 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to create a security trigger that will secure one column in a table from any updates or deletions. I think it's close, but it's still coming up with an error message that I can't resolve.

This trigger is:
create or replace trigger secure_freight_columns before delete or update of remit on frt.freight declare
cannot_change EXCEPTION;
begin
raise cannot_change;
EXCEPTION
WHEN cannot_change then

   raise_application_error(-12345,'May not CHANGE or DELETE the REMIT column');
end;

The Errors that occur at run time when I change the "remit" column are:

ORA-20324: May not CHANGE or DELETE the REMIT column
ORA-06512: at "ZP29.SECURE_FREIGHT_COLUMNS", line 7
ORA-04088: error during execution of trigger
'ZP29.SECURE_FREIGHT_COLUMNS' Can anyone please tell me what to do to get over the hump with this one...appreciate it greatly!

Andy