Re: Oracle vs. Informix

From: Vladik <reason_at_shadow.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:26:19 -0400

Regarding the page level locking -- yes, the number is a lot less (and that means not only space in RAM but time as well). To us it is very important because we update/insert at about 3-4K records a second. And it is not only the locks on data but on indices as well, so if you lock a page that contains N rows and you have 3 indices on the that table, you probably saved 3xN locks.

Regards,
Vladislav

Vincent GRENET <vincent.grenet_at_free.fr> wrote in message news:63ku3.47$on.286799_at_nnrp3.proxad.net...
> Though I am not a DB guru, here is my opinion as a developper (and a
little
> administration).
>
> a) Yes, it is easier with Informix to have many databases in the same
> server; although you can store unrelated tables in the same Oracle
database,
> if the needs for tuning (db_block_size...) are not different. You backup
> tablespaces independently.
>
> b) Tuning is as hard with Informix as it is with Oracle. You just have
less
> documentation to read. Paralellizing queries is possible in Oracle with
> Parallel Query Option (PQO).
>
> c) Why lock an entire page when you can lock a single row? Ok, the number
of
> locks can grow significantly. Just add RAM.
>
> d) Oracle is more friendly with the developper. The C precompiler is way
> smarter (you don't have to declare sql variables in special blocks).
PL/SQL
> is more powerfull than Informix procedural (?) SQL.
>
> e) regarding performance, I really don't know; some people say Informix is
> faster, others say Oracle is faster. I didn't have a way to make my
> personnal opinion (yet; I actually am relatively new to Oracle). The only
> feeling that is shared among all the people I know how had a chance to use
> both is that Informix is more friendly to the dba.
>
> Vincent.
>
> Vladik <reason_at_shadow.net> a écrit dans le message :
> rra2fmo9krl84_at_corp.supernews.com...
> > I think that Informix architecture is more elegant, more thought of,
> > more like well-designed from ground up compared to Oracle.
> > But this is just my personal view. And I am just starting to understand
> > more about Oracle -- most of my experience in db tuning/troubleshooting
> > was with Informix.
> >
> > a) I think Informix is a lot easier to maintain especially for
> organizations
> > where people use many Database instances (like development shops).
> > It is a lot lighter on resources. For example if I have 10
databases --
> > I do not need 10 separate database instances with their own data files,
> > index files, temp files -- I rather allocate those spaces for a
> > database server -- and all the databases on that database server
> > can use the same db space same index same rollback. The same
> > goes about memory allocation.
> > So if out of those 10 databases only 4 are used actively, the
space/memory
> > resource is not wasted by the database server -- it is just being used
as
> > needed.
> > In oracle, as I understand, if the other 6 databases are not used
> actively,
> > no one can use their data file space or index space, etc. So a DBA has
> > to constantly be figuring out what DBs are not used and reduce the
> resource
> > allocation for them.
> > We had to purchase more servers when we migrated from Informix to
Oracle,