Oracle Transparent Gateway for MS SQL Server

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider_at_knuut.de>
Date: 19 Aug 1999 01:57:09 +0200

Hello,

does anybody have any experience with the Oracle Transparent Gateway product ?

A customer has the requirement to have several Oracle databases (7.3 and 8.0) running on a Unixware box talk to several other SQL Server databases (6.5 as well as 7.0). At first, read-only access to SQL server data is required, but later on write access may also be necessary. Data transfer from/to SQL Server will be scheduled by the Oracle DBMS_JOB API.

I had a look at the online docs available at Oracle's technet site, but it seems to be rather outdated, there are only docs for TG4.0. Does anybody know if this is the latest release of the product ? According to those docs, only Oracle 7.2.x, 7.3.2 and SQL Server 6.5 are supported. Would this version work also with Oracle 8 ? (This implies that Net8 would be able to communicate with the Net 2.2 listener on the gateway machine which I'm not sure of.)

Are there any "heads up", known problems etc regarding the Transparent Gateway products in general, or is this a proven technology ?

As an alternative, I was also looking for an ODBC driver for MS-SQL available for the Unixware platform, but I had no luck finding one :-( I'd appreciate if anybody could give me a pointer where to look else.

Thanks for your time,
Peter

--
Peter Schneider
pschneider_at_knuut.de Received on Wed Aug 18 1999 - 18:57:09 CDT