Re: Why use pro*C

From: Calvin Crumrine <Calvin_Crumrine_at_dced.state.ak.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 07:59:20 -0800

I use Pro*C, Pro*COBOL, or Visual Basic when I want more control over how a user accesses a database than triggers allow. It might be a canned report where the user simply runs the program and enters the user ID/password or it might be data entry where the user enters everything first then sends it to the database in a batch. It might be for edit checks that are difficult or impossible in PL/SQL, for a more user-friendly interface, or simply for more consistency in programming. (Note the multiple languages above. I'm the only programmer in our shop who knows all 3 languages.)