Re: Migrating from Access to Oracle

From: Kurt Verachtert <kurt_at_sqlonline.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:11:31 +0200

You can find it on ftp.oracle.com, anonymous login...

I have another question for you: How do you import a Personal Oracle Lite (8) database into O8i ? I only need the emp and dep tables for course material so if you know where to get an O8i database with these standard tables -> OK for me !

Greetings,
Kurt
kurt_at_sqlonline.com

James F. Hurff wrote in message ...
>I have a couple of questions on this topic. I would greatly appreciate any
>assistance:
>
>1. Is the Access conversion utility still available to download from
>Oracle...I cannot seem to find it on the Free/Trial Software download page
>where it used to be?
>2. Is the utility compatible with Access 2000 or do I need to export the
>Access database to a Access 97 format?
>3. If the cascade update/delete is enabled in the Access design, are
>associated triggers created on the Oracle side?
>4. If the Autonumber datatype is used in the Access design, are associated
>sequences created on the Oracle side?
>5. Are the entity relationships passed from Access to Oracle?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net> wrote in message
>> Well my suggestion is if you can affort Oracle 8, which about US$300-500
>per
>> concurrent user, try change it to Oracle. The beneficiary is huge. More
>> secure data, fast performance, highly reliable, extremely scalable.
>>
>> I have use Access 2.0 for long time, very problematic when the system
goes
>> complex and large. Upgrade to 95, solve some problem, raise some
another.
>> Upgrade again to 97, still the same. I never user the Access to Oracle
>> Migration Kit. (My problem, I never trust those user friendly interface)
>> What I did is:
>>
>> 1. create exactly the database on Oracle exactly same in access.
>> 2. Transfer data to Oracle.
>> 3. Attach the Oracle Database into Access using ODBC.
>> 4. If you use cascade update relation in access, you may need program
some
>> trigger in oracle.
>>
>> Just that, the migration is complete, work for Access 2.0 or 95 or 97 .
>> Then you can further improve the performance by :
>>
>> 1. Modify the Query into pass-through query or database view.
>> 2. Rewrite complex operation into database procedure.
>>
>> Personally I think for that price, Oracle is very competitive towards SQL
>> Server. But the benefit is huge, Oracle is the market leader afterall.
>Try
>> to compare a Ferrari with a Honda.
>>
>> Hope it helps.
>> Michael
>>
>> CMG wrote:
>>
>> > Greetings -
>> >
>> > Our business is built on Access 2, but time to move to SQL Server, or
>> > preferrably, Oracle, retaining Access as the front end. We'll upsize to
>> > Acc97, then migrate to Oracle, if it really works.
>> >
>> > Has anyone tried such a migration? What was your experience? Any input
>> > or
>> > links you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I do have the
Oracle