Re: Oracle DBA's should know this problem... HELP!!!!!!!!

From: Rao Ramineni <rao_at_alliedtours.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:12:26 -0400

We had similar problems when we tried to use Developer/2000 with Oracle 8.x.

For some reason (known to Oracle only) Developer/2000 uses sqlnet 2.3 where as Oracle
8.x uses Net8 as the standard mechanism to connect to database.

Resolve this as follows.

  1. copy "TNSNAMES.ORA" file to orawin95\network\admin\ directory.
  2. Configure listener process of Net 8 by specifying the configuration information in orawin95\net8\admin\listener.ora file.
  3. Start listener program by executing tnslsnr80.

Now you should be able to connect to the Database if your tnsnames.ora file specifies
the correct connect-string, protocol, and Database SID.