Re: Oracle vs. MS SQL

From: Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:36:16 GMT

Milan Petrovic <milep_at_europe.com> wrote:

>My friend work with a bank. He asked me "Why Oracle is bether then
>Microsoft SQL?"

Wrong question. Right question would have been 'What do I need?' and then choose a program that fills those needs and leaves some headroom for growth.

To many, MS-SQL does not as it runs on NT, which means a PC.

Oracle is known to work, from year to year.

MS-SQL is a newcomer from a company which never haven't had a single bullet-proof product. How could they make a reliable product?

Reliability is, in my opinion, the one property that a database program should have.

Reliability takes many years and version changes to prove and MS-SQL couldn't do that. Not yet, at least.

Tuomas
--

hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684   \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.