Re: Oracle vs. Informix

From: Vladik <reason_at_shadow.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:06:51 -0400

I think that Informix architecture is more elegant, more thought of, more like well-designed from ground up compared to Oracle. But this is just my personal view. And I am just starting to understand more about Oracle -- most of my experience in db tuning/troubleshooting was with Informix.

  1. I think Informix is a lot easier to maintain especially for organizations where people use many Database instances (like development shops). It is a lot lighter on resources. For example if I have 10 databases -- I do not need 10 separate database instances with their own data files, index files, temp files -- I rather allocate those spaces for a database server -- and all the databases on that database server can use the same db space same index same rollback. The same goes about memory allocation. So if out of those 10 databases only 4 are used actively, the space/memory resource is not wasted by the database server -- it is just being used as needed. In oracle, as I understand, if the other 6 databases are not used actively, no one can use their data file space or index space, etc. So a DBA has to constantly be figuring out what DBs are not used and reduce the resource allocation for them. We had to purchase more servers when we migrated from Informix to Oracle, just because Oracle asked for a lot more when it comes down to maintaining multiple databases (we have about 30 to 50).
  2. If you just look at the number of configuration switches for Performance tuning -- Informix has a lot less. But the concepts behind those switches are very powerful, that is why I think that Informix is architecturally more elegant and well thought off. For example, one of the most important things for OLTP applications is to be able to distribute the databaseaccess across as many CPUs as possible and as many disk spindles as possible to achieve concurrency on the database server side. Well, Informix has an notion of Virtual CPUs and Virtual IO CPUs . You can attach (ping) a virtual CPU to a physical CPU of your DB server, and depending on I/O requirements you can configure number of I/O CPus. This virtual CPU concept allows (again in my view) to easier monitor performance of the server, and figure out load balancing issues (you can see what each virtual CPU is doing). Oracle on the other hand, has myriad switches per DB instance, per server, etc.
  3. Informix supports page locking, row locking, table locking concepts on per table level. It also supports the ability for locks to timeout in a given interval -- and this is configurable per each individual database connection! For our OLTP application it was very important as we, from the application, could identify what transaction take longer then needed because of lock waiting and do something about it.
  4. As far as stored procedures go -- I do not understand what you mean by one line at a time. Stored procedures are compiled by the database engine and cached the first time they are executed. And never recompiled again (until you explicitly ask for it). They are fast. In fact, once they are executed the first time -- you will not see the stored procedure text anymore in your SQL EXPLAIN -- that is because Informix optimizer knows they are compiled and just calls the stored proc in binary form.
  5. even earlier version of Informix supported table partitioning and by now all the bugs are hopefully out of the system (I understand that table partitioning support has been available in Oracle 8).

Oracle has more books written about it, I guess, a lot better marketing, and has more money to spend in investing in interesting technologies like XML. Also, they now have a few former Informix folks working for them.

Vladislav,
Just my biased opinions.