Re: [Q] Cry for help: how to make exp faster?

From: Richard <roxl_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:44:40 +1000

> Monday I used direct=Y, compress=Y and index=N options (6 hours).
> Yesterday I used direct=N, compress=Y and index=Y options (8 hours). As
> I see from resulting export file index=N or Y seems not to make really
> difference as speaking of export file length, but as I saw makes a
> difference in time.
> Buffer for export is set to about 75 MB, I could afford some more, I
> guess. Maybe a renice could help some?

I agree - don't use compress = Y. This option means that the each object will be squeezed into a single extent on import. It's quite possible that you'd would be unable to import with this option, eg this would be the case if you have a table which is bigger than your largest datafile. (I ran into this problem as a newbie Oracle programmer years ago and got a real scare...)

There is a way around this. If somebody has left you with a dud export file then you will need to create the table definitions (complete with storage definitions) prior to the import. Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 20:44:40 CDT