Re: Newbie/Student - help in assignment

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:57:19 -0400

Hi Tonny,

    My responses are in line.

Tonny wrote in message <37b3d4e9_at_news.hawaii.rr.com>...
>I am doing a mini assignment for my Database Theory class. I
would like ask
>any DBA of this newsgroup to please with me with my assignment
by answering
>the following simple questions:
>
>1. In develping your database, do you use
>a. top-down approach
>b. bottom-up approach
>c. other strategy

    I use a top down approach that I call "recursive decomposition". I start off with a grandiose list of all of the data relevant to an area of the enterprise and then start decomposing one level at a time until I wind up with a normalized database.

>2. How do you build you data model?

    Carefully! ;-) Actually I find that the data model is a byproduct of my recursive decomposition strategy.

>3. What are the biggest problems usually encountered in
developing a
>database?

    Uncovering the exceptions that everyone who works with the application on a daily basis knows about, but forgets to mention because they "only happen once or twice a year".

>Please respond to my email: tonnyw_at_hotmail.com
>
>Thank you so much.
>
>Tonny

regards
Jerry Gitomer Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 11:57:19 CDT