Bizarre query failure

From: Tom Williamson <tomw_at_action.cnchost.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:31:40 GMT

Simple problem with no good explanation: I am trying to update the data in a table. The following SQL statements work:

select * from cards;
select * from cards where pc_batch > 1165;

update cards set pc_batch = 1000 where pc_batch = 0;
update cards set pc_batch = 0 where pc_batch = 1000;
update cards set pc_batch = -1 where pc_batch = 0;
update cards set pc_batch = 0 where pc_batch = -1;

The following SQL statements hang and never return:

update cards set pc_batch = -1 where pc_batch = 1180;
update cards set pc_batch = 0 where pc_batch = 1180;
update cards set pc_batch = 0 where pc_batch > 1165;

If I run these in SQL Worksheet (on Windows NT), the client hangs completely and must be killed manually. If I run them in a telnet window, I can recover the session using Ctrl-C. The message I get is:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation

I am running Oracle 8.0.5 on Solaris/Intel. I have already rebooted the machine and restarted the database. Our server installation was set up by an Oracle consultant, so I'm fairly sure it's correct.

More importantly, how can I fix this?

Thanks - Tom Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 09:31:40 CDT