Re: [Q] Cry for help: how to make exp faster?

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:45:31 GMT

I don't have any direct, first hand experience with this particular scenario, but I notice that with your different combinations, you never tried compression=N. Compression will always consume more time.

In article <37B269D3.EBF95A7_at_acegas.ts.it>,   "Igor P. Merku" <igor.merku_at_acegas.ts.it> wrote:
> Hello,
> we are running an Oracle 7.3.4.4.0 on raw device on RS/6000 AIX
> V4.3.2.-02 (node has 4 CPU at 332 MHz), disk subsystem is 7133-020 SSA
> technology (disks are 9.1 GB).
> I have written a procedure that makes backup of Oracle in "raw mode",
> means saving the data files / raw logical volumes, which works all
right
> and, of course, runs in always the same time unless data files would
be
> added.
>
> The application/database is not completely in production yet as we are
> converting data from "old" mainframe system to new Unix system in
> cycles. We have still some months to go...
> In the meantime, logical export seems to be a good way (seemed) to
save
> data for the development team. In the first place I saved data via
pipe
> immediately onto tape drive (IBM 3590) which was all right for the
first
> converted cycle as it took up about 45 min. Now, with four cycles and,
> to improve performance, exporting to a file on file system (jfs) for
2,3
> GB of resulting export file it takes up about 6 hours (tape took about
> 7,5 hours).
> Monday I used direct=Y, compress=Y and index=N options (6 hours).
> Yesterday I used direct=N, compress=Y and index=Y options (8 hours).
As
> I see from resulting export file index=N or Y seems not to make really
> difference as speaking of export file length, but as I saw makes a
> difference in time.
> Buffer for export is set to about 75 MB, I could afford some more, I
> guess. Maybe a renice could help some?
>
> Please be so kind to share your experience about making exports or
> database backup in general. Please point out where to find appropriate
> documentation about export or database backup tuning. Maybe there is a
> better way to save the data, besides export or physical backup? Does
EBU

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 07:45:31 CDT