Re: Can a (Oracle) database appear as a "real" filesystem ?

From: Morten Christensen <mmc_at_mortench.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:20:31 GMT

In article <37B30C39.BB61E798_at_Unforgettable.com>,   BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com wrote:
> SAS software works pretty much like this. It takes some setup and the
> results can only be used within SAS, but for most operations once the
> "external" file is defined it doesn't appear any different from a
straight
> ascii flat file.

Thanks for the info, but if the results can only be used within SAS (url?), than the illusion of a file system can not be that good. A user's illusion of database as a file system is not enough if other software packages are to be "fooled" as well. I was writing about a database which can represent itself as a "real" file system for other software!

---
Morten Christensen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 02:20:31 CDT