Can a (Oracle) database appear as a "real" filesystem ?

From: Morten Christensen <mmc_at_mortench.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:27:27 GMT

Hi,

Does anyone know if a (Oracle 8i) database can appear as a "normal file system" so that ordinary programs with no specific database support can access the information in the database just like a "file" (with no programming/interfacing required).

I know that the unreleased Oracle iFS is supposed to provide something like this for users but I am not sure that it works at the system (device-driver type) of level.... Which it needs to enable ordinary programs like Word and FrameMaker to access the database contents as "files".

---
Morten Christensen (mmc_at_mortench.net)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Aug 12 1999 - 12:27:27 CDT