Re: Replication or Database Link ?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:36:03 -0700

Timo

The reason you've been given for using synchronous replication is exactly why you shouldn't use it - availability. Synchronous replication only works when both databases are up. If one dies, you can't insert into any tables that are being synchronously replicated on the database that stayed up. Of course, you can disable the replication manually in this case, but it requires someone being around to notice it's broken and do that.

As far as the batch jobs go, what do they do? Are they changing data? If so, then the volume of network traffic is going to need testing to make sure replication will push things through fast enough for you.

I'd still stay with database links unless there's a good reason to do otherwise.

HTH. Pete