Too many open cursors

From: <todd.bandrowsky_at_conectiv.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:59:53 GMT

I am running normal Oracle 8 with the web application server on a Sun Enterprise 3500 box.

I keep getting "maximum open cursors exceeded", have the limit set at 500, and think that the problem is in my applications. So, I am going to ask a few basic questions in hopes that I can fix this. Your help would be much obliged?

  1. What is the cursor lifetime in the context of a PL/SQL web application server cartridge? I take that if I have a package, and it gets called by the web server, cursors not explicitly closed by that package remain open forever and ever. Is this is true? What about implicit cursors?
  2. What sort of cursor caching behavior does web application server do? Is it possible to have a configuration where the number of cursors managed by the web pl/sql cartridge exceeds the actual database limit? If so, how does one fix?
  3. Part of our system includes a normal OCI program. Let's assume for a moment that it is buggy and exits and disconnects without closing a couple of cursors. Do cursors close on disconnect?
  4. Off the wall. What's the easiest way to get a persistent connection for a C++ CGI that uses OCI?
  5. Back to topic. Is there a programatic way to determine which cursors have been left open by a particular application. I was thinking having some sort of a query against V$OPEN_CURSOR, but evidently that table does not have every cursor in it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

todd.bandrowsky_at_conectiv.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Aug 11 1999 - 12:59:53 CDT