ORA 1000: Too many open cursors, Web App Server

From: <tbandrow_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:37:42 GMT

I get the dreaded too many open cursors messages. The limit is set to 500. Obviously, I must doing something wrong in code.

  1. Why doesn't V$OPEN_CURSOR doesn't actually have 500 cursors listed in it when there are 500 open cursors (my maximum)?
  2. If I am writing an OCI program, do cursors stay open after I disconnect. Is there a way to do some sort of a "your session left open XXX cursors" check just before closing?
  3. My understanding is that web application server caches cursors. Or, is this a function of Oracle itself. What is the lifetime of a PL/SQL package in the Oracle web application server environment? Is it during the process of a hit, or do cursors tend to hang around for all eternity? I tend to think that the latter is the case, but have no idea how to test for it....
  4. If c is true, then, is it possible that webview, which we use for some forms, is generating too many open cursors?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Aug 11 1999 - 12:37:42 CDT