Re: Replication or Database Link ?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:00:24 -0700

Timo

First question I'd have to ask is why do you need two databases?

If you really need two separate databases, are they in the same network? If so, what's the network speed and how reliable is it? I wouldn't use synchronous replication unless the two databases are on the same very reliable LAN.

HTH. Pete

tsalzsie_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> I would like to ask you for your advice regarding the following
> scenario:
> We have two databases where database CALLDB is accessed by call center
> agents during normal office hours. The second database WEBDB is accessed
> by internet users. Both parties basically work on the same table MEMBER
> where they change data like addresses, phone-numbers, etc.
> During night, we run a large batch job and load up to 5 million rows via
> sqlldr into the table MEMBER. In other words, at night the data is
> not accessed by the call center, but internet folks obviously still
> work with the database (performance!!). This whole scenario applies not
> only to the specified MEMBER table, but also to some other tables.
>
> Now, the question. How do we achieve the requirements that
> - the data must be synchronized instantially (call center must access
> basically the same data as the web user, thus real-time synchronization
> between WEBDB and CALLDB)
> - security
> - performance (limit network traffic)
>
> We were thinking about two possible solutions.
> A. Synchronous Replication
> - almost real-time
> - high network traffic, performance might be a bottleneck
> - high effort to implement (setup, conflict resolution, etc.)
> - handling of large batch job imports still a open issue
> B. Database link
> - high availiablity of either one of the solutions is not guaranteed
> - simple to implement
> - handling of large batch job import also an open issue
>
> We would appreciate any comments, experience reports, recommendations.
>
> Thanks in advance, Timo.

Regards

Pete