Re: AIX: mirrored drives and Oracle corruption

From: Kevin Gould <kgould_at_feist.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:01:00 -0500

Ensure that the sysadmin has quorum for the vg turned off. We've lost drives on several occasions and not had a problem. But if quorum is active, and there are only 2 drives in the vg, AIX will vary off the volume group when the disk fails, and Oracle will eat it, probably corrupting your data in the crunch because it's writing to the lv's in the vg.

Once quorum is on, a disk can fail, and the lv's on it will go stale. AIX logs disk errors, but to my knowledge won't specifically notify you that an lv has been marked stale. It's up to the sysadmin to clue in that with disk errors (they will continue to happen hourly), he should be invigilating the lv's.

Then, he will unmirror the lv's, reducevg the disk out of the volume group, replace it, extendvg the new disk into the volume group, and remirror the lv's or entire volume group.