Re: Unsatisfied symbols error when compiling in HP

From: Richard Lloyd <rkl_at_connect.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:50:56 GMT

In article <37AD2594.7818_at_well.com>,
tpa <tpa_at_well.com> writes:
> 10.x doesn't have
> real threads, but does have the DCE threads package installed, 11.x
> has true POSIX threads. They are both implemented in libraries
> called "libpthread.sl", but they are quite different!

10.X has DCE threads with <pthread.h> in /opt/dce/include and libcma.1 in /usr/lib.

11.X has Posix threads ("pthreads") with <pthread.h> in /usr/include and libpthread.1 in /usr/lib.

10.X DCE threads are *not* compatible with 11.X Posix threads, as the original respondent stated. I suspect that DCE threads are "on their way out" as a way of programming threads - hence HP's support for "real" POSIX threads in 11.X.

Tip in 11.X - make sure you have the latest pthread patch...there seems to have been many bug fixes to that library in 11.X.

Richard K. Lloyd,         E-mail: rkl_at_connect.org.uk
Connect,                     WWW: http://www.connect.org.uk/

Liverpool University,
Merseyside, England,
Great Britain. Received on Tue Aug 10 1999 - 15:50:56 CDT