Re: PL/SQL help needed

From: Gygy Berlogea <PleasePostOn_at_TheNewsGroup.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:28:55 GMT

And again,

There seems to be a tight relation between FORTRAN and posting solutions = already given by others.

One could understand at times, how someone can be proud for = understanding
some of the most complex programming concepts like RECORDS for instance. We seem a bit worried by the AGGREGATION stuff, is it possible this has anything to do with FORTRAN ?

This ERROR DETECTION think is it like a device or something ?

The Observer

  Kenneth C Stahl wrote in message =
<37AB4225.4EA0A981_at_Unforgettable.com>...

  I stand by my code. The use of 'I' is something that is univerally   understood by most experienced programmers and its usage is extremely   obvious - it also has a historical significance which is part of the   lore of programming and has been around since at least the days of   FORTRAN.   What you may not undertand is that 'I' represents an aggregate record,   the members of which are determined by the SELECT statement in the   cursor definition. Using 'policy_number' as the name of the record = would
  be extremely misleading and could be mistakenly interpreted as = actually
  representing a policy number whereas someone who saw 'I' (and who also   actually knew PL/SQL) would never make that mistake. I probably could   have used 'policy_rec' just as easily, but I was writing a quick = example
  to illustrate how a particular technique could be handled. The user of   the example would be responsible for maintaining their own naming   convention. I also didn't include all of the error detection that I   would normally include in a production program - but you didn't catch   that did you?